Sunday, April 13, 2008

OK for Journals but Cut From the LA Times


It is important for all of us to contribute to the literature and assure the success of new and upcoming journals. I want to point you in the direction of 2 of these journals published by Future Medicine in London.

I mention this because I just finished my manuscript for The Journal entitled Personalized Medicine. This is an excellent journal with a tremendous potential. I recently published here and intend to send a significant amount of my work its way. But what is most important about these journals, Pharmacogenomics and Personalized Medicine, is that they are giving an opportunity for younger scientists, physicians and stake holders a voice.

This is important especially because as we interview with reporters, there is no guarantees that it will end up in their article. BTW Anna, I loved the article. Anna Gosline wrote an LA Times article which she spoke with me about. Well, I guess Muin is a bigger name than me ;)

Everyone should read this article....It is excellent. And Anna, if you need some medical advice feel free to call us and you can be one of our cadre of Navigenics patients.

I have recently begun to realize the potential of pairing patient centered care with genomic medicine. By putting these two ideas together....we may have a winner. I think that these two parallel ideals may actually be synergistic. Put plainly, moving the care in a patient centered way that DOES NOT REMOVE the healthcare practitioner, but places them as the coach, enables patients to make better choices by understanding their genomic risk. First by taking a family history and secondly by using appropriate genetic testing. Just like Muin said.
Ok, now the gossip fix. Did anyone read the Sunday Times? Well Navigenics was in it. Slapping 23andMe in the face. From the article
The company has been authorized to sell the service to residents of every state except New York (Told you so), Ms. DuRoss said. New York residents must join a waiting list until state health officials license the company’s designated lab to provide services to New Yorkers.

Even if that regulatory hurdle had been cleared, Ms. DuRoss said she doubted that the company would have invited customers to provide saliva samples on the spot. “It’s a little awkward to ask people to spit in public,” Ms. DuRoss said. “It’s a very private thing.”

Woah!!! We (Navigenics) are classy and tactful, You (23andME) are classless. That's what it sounds like to me ;)


The Sherpa Says:
When my next article is published I will let you know. I hope it serves as a good compass. Speaking of compass, take a looksie at Daniel's post at Genetic Future....he seems to think these big corporate genomic companies will be fighting each other for quite some time....He may be right. Maybe they could read my article? Then they would realize what they needed to do. Differentiating themselves is definitely a start.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why not try to publish your paper in Nature Genetics, Nature, Science, or some other high level journal? Not many people read Personalized Medicine.

Steve Murphy MD said...

Are you saying personalized medicine is not High Level? I will but have been turned away twice from Nature Genetics....editorial responses mind you.
-Steve

Anonymous said...

Yah, I understand about the rejection from journals issues. Sure Personalized Medicine is a good journal (I enjoy a good number of the articles published in that journal), but I was wondering if your article would be more widely read if it were published in a journal that is more "read."

Peace! Keep up the good work.

TheGeneticGenealogist said...

I have to admit, this old-fashioned attitude drives me crazy. Notice that all the suggested journals are subscription only!

PubMed and Google return results from almost all journals, not just subscription-only journals. No one locates relevant articles by searching through saved paper copies of Science or Nature anymore!

An article might be more "read" in these journals when the issue initially publishes, but I would argue that it loses value in the long-term because it's behind the subscription wall.

Steve Murphy MD said...

Blaine,
I totally agree.
-Steve
p.s. I will let you know about the article ASAP.